Former Vice-President of Nigeria, Atiku Abubakar at the National Convention in Abuja, won the presidential ticket to represent the People’s Democratic Party (PDP) party in the forthcoming 2023 presidential election. 

Driving the news 
The 75-year-old presidential aspirant secured the party’s ticket with 371 delegates’ votes with the Governor of Rivers State Nyesom Wike coming second with 237 votes. 

  • The duo accumulated 81% of the total delegate votes with the other aspirants getting the remaining 19%. 
  • The 19% includes 70 votes by the former Governor of Kwara State and 38 votes by the fourth aspirant Udom Gabriel Emmanuel. 

What happened at the PDP’s Primaries 

  • There are reports that a last-minute intervention meeting of the northern aspirants and groups was crucial in ensuring the victory of the former Vice-president. 
  • The report claims that Gov Wike, a first-time presidential candidate, appeared to be a major obstacle to Atiku Abubakar’s smooth run to clinching the party’s ticket as the former had secured support from some northern delegates, including Kano State.
  • Few minutes before the voting began, Governor of Sokoto State, Aminu Tambuwal and a former Managing Director of FSB International Bank, Mohammed Hayatu-Deen, to the surprise of the delegates, withdrew from the race while declaring support for Atiku Abubakar.
  • This boosted the support for the former President which ultimately led to him winning the party’s ticket. 
  • Considering the result of the election, Gov Wike could feel betrayed following his backing of Gov Aminu Tambuwal in the 2019 primary elections, which the latter lost to Atiku Abubakar.

What the former Vice President said 
The former Vice President in his acceptance speech extended a hand of partnership to the defeated aspirants, promising to work with them to ensure the party’s victory in the 2023 elections. 

  • Describing the election as one of the freest, Atiku said “Today, we are making another history which we believe will bring fundamental changes to the country, both by providing adequate security and fixing the economy’’
Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *