Former Imo State Governor and Presidential aspirant Rochas Okorocha under the All-Progressive Congress (APC) appeared in court on Monday over a N2.9 billion fraud allegation filed by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC).
Driving the news
The presiding judge, Justice Inyang Ekwo, following a bail hearing on behalf of the APC presidential aspirant by his counsel, Solomon Umo, SAN, granted the request in the sum of N500 million or Surety in the like sum.
- The court ruling also required Mr. Okorocha to submit his passport to the court registry. He must also request the court’s permission before making a trip outside of the court’s jurisdiction.
- Justice Ekwo also ruled that Mr. Okorocha could not leave the custody of the EFCC until his terms of bail were fulfilled.
In case you missed it
- The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) in January 2022 filed a 17-count charge against Senator Rochas Okorocha bordering on the diversion of funds amounting to N2.9 billion against six other accomplices.
- The presiding judge, Honorable Justice Inyang Ekwo, then granted an arrest warrant against the former governor after failing to honor the EFCC’s several requests.
What you should know
- Mr. Rochas Okorocha is the current senator representing Imo West Senatorial district of Imo State. And a presidential candidate under the umbrella of the APC.
- The former governor is to face a presidential screening exercise by the party today, May 31st 2022.
- The former governor sued the Attorney General of the Federation, Abubakar Malami, with a claim of N1 billion in damages following the raid by operatives of the EFCC on his residence in Abuja.