Ex Nigerian President, Dr Ebele Goodluck Jonathan has denied affiliation with the northern group that bought the N100 million presidential ticket of Nigeria’s ruling party, All Progressives Congress (APC), on his behalf.
Brief background to the story
Several social groups in Nigeria have urged the five-year president to join the race to succeed his successor, President Muhammadu Buhari. In fact, in April, protesters stormed the private office of the former president in Abuja in a bid to convince him to join the 2023 presidential race.
- Unconfirmed sources hinted that the former president decamped to the ruling party, APC, last year.
- On Monday, two leaked letters from Heritage Bank showed the payment of N30 million for the Expression of Interest form and N70 million for the Nomination Form of the Ex-President.
What they are saying
Dr. Jonathan media aide, Ikechukwu Eze, in a statement on Monday categorically stated that the former president was not aware of the bid neither did he authorize it. The statement further clarified that Dr Jonathan has not committed himself to the 2023 presidential race.
A Senior Advocate of Nigeria, Femi Falana, has said Dr Jonathan is not eligible to contest in 2023 elections as Section 137 (3) of the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, 1999 says “A person who was sworn in to complete the term for which another person was elected as President shall not be elected to such office for more than a single term.”
- According to Femi Falana, under the current Constitution a President or Governor cannot spend more than 2 terms of 8 years.