The Federal Government of Nigeria through the Nigerian Immigration Service (NIS) has launched an e-Passport for its citizens in the United Kingdom and the United States of America. The e-passport, as announced by NIS, comes with a ten-year validity.
- In the statement released by NIS, the service stated e-passport, which is a scheme to tackle the passport booklet crisis, comes in 3 categories; 32-page with a 5-year validity, 64-page with a 5-year validity and 64-page with a 10-year validity.
- NIS also stated that obtaining the e-passport takes a process time of 5 weeks for new applications and 3 weeks for renewals.
- Visit passport.immigration.gov.ng.
- Fill the form and make payment online.
- After a successful payment, book an appointment date.
- Print appointment slip.
- Visit a pre-selected mission and consulate with all required documents.
- The National Identification Number (NIN) is compulsory in applying for a passport.
What you should know
The Federal Government of Nigeria had in 2021 launched the temporary electronic passport to help its citizens living in the diaspora to return home following several complaints of the non-availability of booklets in the countries they live. The enhanced launch announced by NIS yesterday is an improvement on the passport application process for Nigerians in Nigeria and in the Diaspora.