The aftermath of the gruesome murder of Deborah Samuel, a Nigerian level two student of Shehu Shagari College of Education in Sokoto State, forced the State’s government to impose a 24-hour curfew in the capital.
The story so far
An angry mob took to the streets to protest against the arrest of two suspects by the State Police command and a manhunt for others believed to have aided the killing of the victim in the viral video. The angry mob vandalized two Catholic parishes in the state’s capital on Saturday and other properties owned by Christian organizations in the state.
- The protesters also attempted to visit the palace of the Muhammadu Sa’ad Abubakar, the sultan of Sokoto, the highest Muslim spiritual figure in Nigeria, but faced opposition from security forces.
- The violent acts by the mob forced the State government led by Governor Aminu Waziri Tambuwal to impose a 24-hour curfew from Saturday morning to Sunday morning in the capital in which he pleaded that the protesters return to their residence.
In case you missed it
- Deborah Samuel, a level two student, was killed in Shehu Shagari College of Education in Sokoto State after being accused of making a blasphemous social media post of Prophet Muhammad.
- Sokoto police spokesperson Sanusi Abubakar said that the State police command has arrested two suspects in an ongoing investigation and were currently searching for other suspects in the viral video.
- Nigeria’s President, Muhammadu Buhari, in a speech condemned the killing of Deborah Samuel stating that the Muslim religion teaches respect for the Holy Prophet but in a case of transgression, “the law does not allow anyone take matters into their hands.”
- President Buhari also directed the Ministries of Information and Culture, Police Affairs, and Communications and Digital Economy to work with GSM providers and Tech companies to contain the spread of fake information on the matter. He urged authorities to probe the matter.
- The father of the victim, Emmanuel Garba, in an interview revealed that the family has buried the remains of the victim.