The Registrar-General of the Corporate Affairs Commission (CAC), Alhaji Garba Abubakar, disclosed on Wednesday that talks are at an advanced stage with the National Identity Management Commission (NIMC) to replace signatures with the National Identification Number (NIN). 

What they are saying 
The CAC boss stated that replacing signatures with the NIN is part of a reform by the CAC to improve its service delivery. Alhaji Garba Abubakar also applauded his staff, who have put in extra hours to ensure that the registration process for businesses in Nigeria falls through. He also claimed that the CAC would continue to prioritize training of employees to achieve set goals. 

Latest NIN Numbers 
The latest data by the National Identity Management Commission (NIMC) released on July 7th 2022 shows that the number of Nigerians who have completed the registration for the National Identification Number (NIN) has risen to 85.59 million.

By gender, more males have completed the registration with 56% representing 48 million of the total enrollments and 37.52 million females, representing the remaining 44%.

In terms of state distribution, Lagos State has recorded the number of registrants, with 9.73 million people. Kano State follows Lagos, Nigeria’s biggest commercial city, with 7.3 million completed registration and Kaduna State with 5 million.

What you should know 
The federal government in December 2020 directed all Nigerians to register for NIN and link the unique numbers to their SIM cards. The federal government also made registration centers available to assist Nigerians who don’t have the unique pin.

After several pleas for Nigeria to yield to the directive, the federal government authorized telecom operators in the country to ban unlinked lines from placing outgoing calls.The directive by the federal government affected over 75 million mobile users in Nigeria.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.